Whether you realise it or not, you can find metal roofs everywhere in Malaysia. Popular and timeless, the metal roofing system is a crowd-favourite, especially for commercial projects.
At Swissma, we understand the importance of choosing the right roofing type for your unique needs. As such, we believe you, too, should understand the basics of metal roofing to ease your decision-making process.
This article will discuss all you need to know about metal roofing. Without further ado, let’s dive right in.
Why You Should Choose Metal Roofing?
- Metal is an incredibly durable material. As such, metal roofing can withstand extreme weather, UV exposure, fire, and more.
- Not only that, metal roofs are light and malleable as they have fewer structural demands compared to other roofing materials. Thus, the system enables you to pursue your preferred roofing design with minimal constraints.
- Did you know that a metal roofing system is environmentally friendly? This is because the system serves as a way to minimise the use of natural resources that fuel electricity for various appliances.
- What’s more, metal roofing is completely recyclable to be processed into future products. Also, some metal roofing materials are made up of already-recycled materials.
- Combining proper installation with periodical maintenance, a metal roofing system can last for decades. For instance, metal roofing made of zinc and copper can even prevail for 100 years with minimal signs of corrosion.
- Essentially, you can improve the lifespan of your metal roofing by hiring professionals to perform a roof inspection and cleaning twice a year.
Things to Consider When Selecting a Metal Roof for Commercial Buildings
1. Picking a Metal Type
Choose from the many metal types, namely steel, zinc, aluminium, and copper. Every type has its own purpose, and you should opt for a type that suits your needs.
For instance, copper guarantees durability and a proven long life, while zinc is famous for those looking for a low-gloss look.
2. Roof Configuration
Metal roofing profiles are available in different forms, from horizontal or vertical sheets and panels to shingles and tiles. There are numerous panel configurations for you to explore and pick.
While the configuration may vary, all seams must remain impervious to water penetration. A common style is the standing seam system, a concealed fixing metal panel system with vertical seams of 25 mm or 38 mm in height.
3. Underlayment and Insulation
Choosing the right underlayment is a must to match the expected lifespan of your roofing system. A suitable underlayment can help protect your structure from bad weather conditions and offer greater moisture protection.
Another vital consideration is the two types of insulation: thermal and acoustic. Thermal insulation minimises heat gain and reduces overall energy costs. Meanwhile, acoustic insulation absorbs or blocks noises to offer better comfort to the building occupants.
4. Codes and Standards
Always check to make sure your project complies with the latest regulations and requirements. For instance, a building with facade that exceeds 18m in height must be evaluated using the BS8414 test to ensure utmost fire safety compliance of external cladding systems.
Another example is the MS1525:2007, a code of practice providing the baseline standard for energy efficiency design. To make your job easier, engage a professional to ensure your roofing system is in accordance with the highest standards and best practices.
Malaysia’s Metal Roofing System Specialist
Our team has the experience and expertise to handle a wide range of metal roofing projects regardless of the scale.
Striving to exceed customers’ expectations, we provide nothing but the best metal roofing service with excellent technical support, high-quality materials, and swift installation.
Check out our web page to know more about our metal roofing solutions.